We did get two of the beams installed on Friday which is quite a chore. These largest section of the glulam beams is 7" x 11 7/8" by 20' and weighs several hundred pounds. With six people we managed to get the beam up on the supporting walls and then set one of the perpendicular beams in place (which is about 4 feet shorter). Those beams have not been bolted together or bolted to the wall system yet so they are held in place by braces and nails in some of the blind spots on the walls.
This weekend saw about 5" of rainfall but fortunately we have covered the glulams and other lumber with waterproof house wrap. By this afternoon most of the water had dried up except for one or two areas on the main floor and severals low spots in the concrete basement floor.
|Beam #1 and (hidden from view) Beam #2 up.|
|Beams 1 and 2 viewed from the West end of the family room - this is Sunday after the rains fell on Saturday. Still covered and dry.|
|Looking down the walls from East to West. Hard to see it in this picture but those studs are all perfectly in line.|
|The two overhead 2x4s mark the last beam that will be across the hallway and offset from the end of the hall by 6" to provide room for backlighting of this beam.|
|Looking at the largest beam from the North West corner of the family room. The kitchen is beyond the beam and ends at the stairwell (which is just this side of the next framed in ball.|
|Looking at the master bath from the South wall. The door frame you see is for the closet doors for the room on the North side (closet back wall is yet to be framed on this side of the door.|