|Left Pantry Door with Earhpaint Brown Cedar applied.|
|Living room pocket doors with Brown Cedar stain applied. Glass is covered in plastic and protective film at this point until painting is complete.|
|Bi-fold doors in the quilting room.|
|Master Bedroom window sill with stain applied|
|Master bedroom door.|
|Master bedroom doors - the one on the right is the "curtain door."|
|Stair risers and skirt board stained; the skirt is poplar while the risers are alder. that light color on the face of the treads is the masking tape holding he protecive cardboard and paper on until the treads are stained and polyurethaned.|
The nice thing about this finish is it's the only finish you put on the wood - over time it hardens (several weeks) and protects the wood. The labor involved with a product where you have to pre-condition the wood, stain it, and then apply a polyurethane coating alone outweighs the higher cost of the Earthpaint. And it has a pleasant (though quite strong) citrus smell that lingers as it's curing.
Before they started staining the trim, the granite folks installed the granite and quartz in the bathrooms. The two hallway baths were pretty simple and went in quickly but the master was a bit more complex. The tub deck was comprised of 4 pieces for the deck and another 4 for the backsplash so that took longer than the team anticipated. In addition the shower sill, wall cap and vanities made this one big job for the guys. Once they completed it though it was a great addition to the bathroom. We did remove the tub during the installation so it was easier and we haven't yet reinstalled it. Unfortunately we didn't get pictures before the painters descended with their rolls of tape, plastic and paper to cover it all in prep for the staining and painting work.
Today they finished spreading out the topsoil (two loads of a 50/50 screened soil/mulch mix and about the same of our own saved topsoil) in those areas where we'll be planting. They also graded the land for final drainage and installed 5 sections of pipe ranging from 4" to 12" in diameter. The main goal of this drainage system is to channel the water from the front of the house around to the back and prevent erosion. The crowned the driveway and built berms that will route the water around the house and into the natural drainage on east but into the 12" pipe on the west. That westerly route is there to prevent the water which can be significant in heavy rains from eroding the septic field. Two downspouts on the back of the house were connected to drainage pipes leading to the rip-rap outlet below the house. The 12" pipe as well as the overflow from the back rainchain will also channel into the riprap so during heavy rains there will be a nice flow going down the natural draw of land into our intermittent stream.
|View of the driveway - we changed the shape from a circle to a more functional teardrop. the middle will hold an herb and/or flower garden.|