With the power to the house, we were able to turn on the well and draw water for the workers instead of borrowing it from our neighbor Jack or using rainwater collected from the roof. We do have a minor drip from a couple of the fittings but they're easily fixed.
Along with the water we had the Boer Brothers on site to connect the heat pump so we could maintain temps in the house for the maple flooring to acclimate. While we're not yet using the geothermal ground source it's important that the wood acclimate for at least a week before we have it installed. Right now the subfloor is reading about 12% moisture content while the wood is reading between 6% and 8%. Ideally the subfloor is between 10 and 12% and the wood is 7-8% so we are not far off. We waited until the painters had finished priming the interior walls before moving the wood in from our storage trailer and then we stacked it (first in a pyramid but then we rearranged to a crosshatch for better airflow) in rooms so it wouldn't have to be moved far to install it. The installer will sand the subfloor prior to the install to even out any joint swelling that's occurred and ensure a nice flat surface. The sanding (dustless) is currently scheduled to begin next weekend and install should start on Monday, 19 Dec. At the same time we'll probably install the cork flooring in the basement.
|Maple flooring stacked to acclimate to temp/humidity levels prior to installation|
I mentioned paint earlier - the painting crew came and primed all the interior walls on Saturday and Sunday last week, then the sheetrock top-up crew came to make some adjustments/corrections. The painters also primed the outside of the house and yesterday they started painting the Baguette color on the outside. We went with a fine texture in the paint to provide a "stucco" look to the house.
|The family room after prime|
|View from the kitchen to the family room|
|Looking West to East from family room - everything still wrapped in plastic so imagination is required to see the final look|
|Primer up and Durarock installed in the upstairs hall bath|
|This made it east to say "NO" to a white house! Concrete primer on, waiting for the final color choice and texture.|
|Back side and East side with primer on.|
|Baguette applied to the front. Much better!|
|East side baguette, south side white.|
The tiling crew finished up most of the tile setting on Friday as well. The only tile they didn't set was where we ended up being 3 12x24 tiles short in the master bathroom. That was a result of our miscalculating the impact of cuts on walls that are larger than 2 tiles wide. Our tile setter was a master at layout and he centered one tile which had the impact of causing two tiles to be cut on either side - meaning that for each row of tile we needed 3 tiles. Since we were tiling up to 8 feet, that meant we needed 27 tiles and we only ordered 24 so we had to add another box to compete the tiling. The other discussion we had on tiling was the waterproofing of the walls behind the tile. In my earlier post I described that pretty thoroughly so I won't rehash it here.
|Upstairs hall bath|
|Corner of mast showing contrasting accent wall and accent stripes|
|The niche for shampoo and liquid soap - that's nearly a full 12x24 tile in the back|
|Downstairs bath with glass tile accent strips and multi-color floor|
|Floor of the downstairs shower - yep, that drain is still off center due to measurement errors when the slab was poured around the plumbing. Tilers did their magic to make this look good.|